Duterte says he is not supporting any candidate except daughter Sara
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday said he is not supporting any candidate in the May 9 elections except for his daughter Davao City mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, who is vying for the vice presidency.
In a speech during his visit to an evacuation center in Batangas province, Duterte said his term is up and he will not support any candidate.
“Ako wala na, tapos na ako. I am not supporting any candidate except, of course, my daughter. Ako, boboto talaga ako sa anak ko,” he said.
(I’m done. I am not supporting any candidate, except of course my daughter. I will vote for my daughter.)
Duterte-Carpio is running alongside former senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr., whom the President earlier described as a “weak leader.”
President Duterte had chosen his longtime aide Senator Christopher Go as his successor but the latter backed out of the race in December last year.
Since then, Duterte has been cryptic about his choice for the next president.
He earlier said that he is not supporting any candidate unless there is a compelling reason to do so. But in March, Duterte said the next leader should be a compassionate lawyer.
Only Vice President Leni Robredo, who is among Duterte’s chief critics and Jose Montemayor are the lawyers among the roster of presidential candidates.
“Paalis na ako. I’m winding up at lahat ng nalalaman ko na magandang asal para sa maging Presidente, sinasabi ko. It is because I want to pass it on to the next generation,” Duterte said in his speech in Batangas.
(I am leaving. I am winding up and all the good things I learned as a President, I am telling it to you.)
Duterte’s political party PDP-Laban has endorsed the candidacy of Duterte-Carpio’s running mate, Marcos Jr.
Malacañang, however, said that it is unclear if the PDP-Laban’s endorsement also means Duterte is supporting Marcos.
In his announcement last week about the issue, he said he is remaining neutral in the May 9 elections.