Pacquiao dares Marcos to one-on-one debate: Baka nahihiya siya 'pag marami uma-attend | Inquirer News

Pacquiao dares Marcos to one-on-one debate: Baka nahihiya siya ‘pag marami uma-attend

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 05:29 PM March 21, 2022
Pacquiao: Marcos Jr. can’t lead PH debate

PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES Manny Pacquiao (right) and Ferdinand Marcos Jr. INQUIRER FILES

SILANG, CAVITE — Presidential candidate Senator Manny Pacquiao on Monday challenged his opponent former senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to a one-on-one debate so that the latter would be able to bare his platforms for the Filipino people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Pacquiao said Marcos should have attended debates, especially the one organized by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) held last Saturday, because it was a chance for him to present his plans and programs for the country.

“Baka nahihiya siya ‘pag maraming mga mag-attend [ng debate]. Okay sa akin kung mag-debate kami na kaming dalawa lang,” he said in a press briefing.

FEATURED STORIES

(Maybe he’s shy when there are many people attending the debates. It would be okay for me if we will have a debate one-on-one.)

“Yes. Baka alanganin siya, dahil naraming nag-a-attend sa debate. Baka mahiyain siya eh di hamunin ng one-on-one na lang para malaman ng taumbayan kung ano plataporma ko, at plataporma niya,” Pacquiao added when asked if he is daring Marcos to a one-on-one match.

(Yes. Maybe he does not like it when there are many participants in the debate. Maybe he’s shy so I’m challenging him to a one-on-one so that the public would be able to know my platforms and his platforms.)

He said he is ready to face Marcos Jr. in one-on-one battle of wits, saying he is ready to answer any question since he is vying for the highest government position in the country.

“Baka nahihiya siya o natatakot siya umattend kasi marami nag-a-attend ng debate. Baka gusto niya ng one-on-one. Baka gusto niya piliin ako na maka-one-on-one sa debate,” the senator said.

(Maybe he’s shy or he’s scared to attend because many are participating. Maybe he wants a one-on-one. Maybe he wants to choose me for a one-on-one debate.)

Pacquiao said it is within Marcos’s rights to refuse his challenge but it would be up to the public to interpret the latter’s rejection.

ADVERTISEMENT

It is important that the public know the platforms of a candidate because then they could hold them to account if ever they would hold office, he said.

“Mabuti na ‘yung recorded na sinasabi ‘yung plataporma para pagdating ng panahon mahanapan natin siya,” Pacquiao said.

(It is better that it is recorded so that we can hold them to account.)

The boxer-turned-politician said it would be better if Comelec would organize the one-on-one debate between him and the son of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr.

He, however, said that during the debate, questions should not be given in advance, but if Marcos Jr. would request it, he would allow it.

Pacquiao said among the topics that would be talked about in the debate is the Marcos’ family’s ill-gotten wealth, Marcos’s track record in public service and the former senator’s tax issues.

“Siya kasi hindi nag-a-attend sa debate. I’m not attacking. Sinasabi ko lang ‘yung katotohanan. Mali ba sinabi ko? Totoo naman eh. Pasensya na kayo kung nagsasabi ako ng totoo. Kung gawa gawa yan pwede sila magalit sa akin pati ‘yung mga supporters nya pero kung totoo bakit kayo magalit sa akin?” he said.

(He’s not attending debates. I’m not attacking him. I’m just saying the truth. Am I wrong? That’s true. I’m sorry but I am only saying what is true. If that’s made up, I’d understand if you’d get mad, but if it’s true, why would you be angry at me?)

Marcos has so far been declining presidential debates hosted by major media networks, even the one hosted by Comelec, which was conducted last Saturday, March 19.

He declined to participate in the presidential interview with veteran journalist Jessica Soho, the presidential forum hosted by the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP), and the debate hosted by CNN Philippines.

Marcos, however, attended the debates hosted by SMNI, a media network ran by Pastor Apollo Quiboloy, who has openly given his support for Marcos’ presidential candidacy and his running mate’s vice presidential bid.

Other presidential candidates—Senator Panfilo Lacson, Manila City Mayor Isko Moreno, Senator Manny Pacquiao, and Vice President Leni Robredo—did not attend the SMNI debates.

READ: Marcos explains refusal to debate

Marcos reasoned that he would rather continue his campaigning instead of attending debates, saying the debate format is “problematic because the questions are just repeated and sometimes get personal.

READ: Bongbong Marcos: I’d rather campaign than repeat same thing in debates

He said he would rather talk about the present and the future, which he said is “what is on people’s minds.”

Among the controversies that Marcos Jr. is facing in his candidacy is the history with his father, the late president and dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr. who has been criticized over issues of corruption and human rights violations during his term.

Inquirer.net has reached out to the camp of Marcos for his comment on Pacquiao’s challenge, but has yet to receive a reply.

je
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Challenge, dare, Marcos, nahihiya, one-on-one debate, Pacquiao
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.