DOJ: Congress can pass law on e-sabong | Inquirer News
Close  
AMID DISAPPERANCES

DOJ: Congress can pass law on e-sabong

By: - Reporter / @santostinaINQ
/ 05:18 AM March 12, 2022
Menardo Guevarra

DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra. INQUIRER FILES

MANILA, Philippines — Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Friday defended the legal opinion issued by the Department of Justice (DOJ) on the regulation of online “sabong” (cockfighting) by the Philippine Gaming Corp. (Pagcor).

“The legal opinion that the DOJ rendered to Pagcor … was based on its interpretation of the Pagcor charter, which is an act of legislature,” Guevarra said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“On the other hand, the OSG (Office of the Solicitor General) opinion was apparently based on the inadequacy of gaming authority on the part of [local governments], considering the online nature of e-sabong operations,” he added.

Guevarra was sought to comment on Sen. Francis Tolentino’s remarks earlier that the DOJ and OSG could have violated the law for allowing Pagcor to issue e-sabong franchises.

FEATURED STORIES

But Guevarra said that if Congress believes that congressional authority was needed for the licensing of e-sabong, then Congress “should act expeditiously.”

“From a policy viewpoint, the regulation of e-sabong, whether through congressional franchises or by authority of executive agencies, is far better than e-sabong being totally unregulated,” the DOJ chief said.

Tolentino earlier questioned the “overbearing interpretation” of the DOJ and Pagcor of the authority granted to them by Republic Act No. 9487, or the Pagcor Charter.

“Where did you get the authority for you to [interpret] that e-sabong is part of the functions of Pagcor, [that it] can be regulated, can be declared as legal, and even used as legal basis?” he said during last week’s hearing of the Senate committee on public order and dangerous drugs on the disappearance of more than 30 cockfight enthusiasts.

Malacañang ordered the Philippine National Police and the National Bureau of Investigation to investigate the disappearance of the cockfight players and Pagcor to investigate possible violations of e-sabong agreements.

READ: Facing Senate, Atong Ang cries ‘conspiracy’ in ‘e-sabong’ abductions

“Unless otherwise directed, the operations of e-sabong licensees shall remain unaffected, pending the result of the above investigations,” said Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea.

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED STORIES

Dela Rosa, Pagcor chief clash over e-sabong suspension
Duterte denied agreeing to stop e-sabong operations – Pagcor chief

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DoJ, e-sabong, gambling, Menardo Guevarra, Pagcor
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.