Carlos reminds PNP personnel not to get involved in cockfighting | Inquirer News

Carlos reminds PNP personnel not to get involved in cockfighting

By: - Reporter / @zacariansINQ
/ 08:39 PM February 21, 2022
Cockfighting was one of the Filipinos' favorite past time. INQUIRER.net STOCK PHOTO

INQUIRER.net STOCK PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Dionardo Carlos on Monday reminded police personnel not to involve themselves in cockfighting, including online “sabong.”

“This doesn’t give a good impression on their conduct as law enforcers,” said Carlos in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The bottom line is, we discourage our personnel from engaging in gambling activities as this does not augur well with their professional and personal values,” he added.

Carlos, however, assured the public that the PNP will not hesitate in arresting their personnel involved in cockfighting.

FEATURED STORIES

“They are not above the law. Once caught, the PNP won’t hesitate arresting those who are involved in this illicit activity,” said Carlos.

Carlos also said that the PNP had already intensified its drive against any form of illegal gambling with the proliferation of off-cockpit betting stations.

He then encouraged the public to report incidents regarding illegal cockfighting operations, through https://e-sumbong.pnp.gov.ph.

“The PNP will investigate, validate and take appropriate action regarding the complaint,” assured Carlos.

As for police personnel, PNP’s Internal Affairs Service (IAS) will handle the investigation to determine their possible administrative liabilities, the police chief added.

Under Presidential Decree 1602, penalties are imposed on individuals who break anti-gambling regulations.

The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) had also slapped administrative penalties to operators who failed to comply with set standards and requirements for e-sabong.

ADVERTISEMENT

This developed in connection with the disappearance of 26 cockfight aficionados whose whereabouts remain unknown.

The PNP earlier said that they were looking into the identities of three persons of interest to shed light on four of the 26 missing cockfight players.

RELATED STORIES:

NBI told to investigate missing ‘sabungeros’

Senate panel eyes probe into missing cockfight players

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS:  PNP, cockfighting, Dionardo Carlos, sabungero
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.