Senate panel eyes probe into missing cockfight players
MANILA, Philippines — A Senate panel led by Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is planning to call for an investigation into the case of 26 cockfight players who recently went missing.
“Given the urgency of the issue while the Senate is on regular adjournment, I am planning to conduct an inquiry as part of my committee’s oversight function over certain [government] agencies,” Dela Rosa, chairman of the Senate public order, said in a message to reporters on Thursday.
On Feb. 3, police said they are searching for three people from Laguna involved in the cockfighting business in a bid to shed light on the whereabouts of four of the 26 missing cockfight players.
According to Dela Rosa, he is eyeing to conduct the hearing within next week.
In a separate media forum, Senator Panfilo Lacson, who formerly chaired the public order committee in the Senate, also sees the need for an inquiry to be conducted.
“Kung ako ang chairman, I think we should call for a Senate inquiry kasi medyo malala na talaga and hindi natin alam kung ano ang puno’t dulo nito,” Lacson said.
Senate President Vicente Sotto III, who joined Lacson in the forum, said information reaching them said the families of the missing players have something to disclose about the situation.
“Ang nakarating na impormasyon sa amin mayroong mga gustong i-divulge ang mga kamag-anak ng mga biktima tungkol sa mga nangyayari…So we’ll find way to be able to talk to them,” Sotto said.
Last week, Senator Leila de Lima also expressed concern over the incident.
“These cases of successive disappearance of individuals engaged in gambling is a perplexing phenomenon which demands for answers and closure,” she earlier said.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.