Duterte withdraws from senatorial race
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte withdrew his certificate of candidacy (COC) for senator in the 2022 polls, Commission on Elections spokesperson James Jimenez said on Tuesday.
“The President has filed his withdrawal from the Senatorial elections,” Jimenez said on Twitter.
The President has filed his withdrawal from the Senatorial elections. pic.twitter.com/f8TJekehqQFEATURED STORIES
— James Jimenez (@jabjimenez) December 14, 2021
Earlier on the same day, his former aide and Senator Christopher “Bong” Go officially pulled out his candidacy from the presidential race.
Duterte and Go filed their COCs for president and senator, respectively, through substitution. They earlier filed their candidacies under the Pederalismo ng Dugong Dakilang Samahan.
Go previously said that it may not be the right time for him to run yet.
“Ayaw rin talaga ng aking pamilya kaya naisip ko na siguro ay hindi ko pa panahon sa ngayon. Diyos lang ang nakakaalam kung kailan ang tamang panahon,” Go said in an ambush interview during the 158th birth anniversary of Gat Andres Bonifacio.
(My family doesn’t want it either, so I thought maybe this is not my time yet. Only God knows when the right time is.)
As of writing, the Palace has not yet released a statement regarding the president’s withdrawal.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.