Bongbong Marcos confident of beating Robredo in 2022 election scenario
MANILA, Philippines — Former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Wednesday said he is confident of beating Vice President Leni Robredo should they slug it out in the 2022 elections.
“If it’s going to be a one-on-one fight, that will be good because I know I can win that,” Marcos said during the Kapihan sa Manila Bay forum.
To date, both Marcos and Robredo have yet to finalize their political plans for the upcoming polls.
To recall, Marcos and Robredo competed for the vice presidency in the 2016 polls which ended in Robredo’s victory.
Challenging Robredo’s victory, Marcos then filed an electoral protest with the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET).
After losing at the polls, Marcos’ camp filed a motion for reconsideration which is currently pending.
“Because of the pandemic, na-delay na nang na-delay. Because kung minsan, ‘di na sila makapag-en banc. So, they cannot attend to this as well as they used to be able to,” Marcos shared.
(Because of the pandemic, it was further delayed. At times, they cannot en banc. So, they cannot attend to this as well as they used to be able to.)
“We just have to make sure that we get closure on some of the questions that we have,” he added.
Marcos further bared that his camp spent P72 million to have the votes recounted as part of his electoral protest.
Earlier this year, the PET unanimously voted to dismiss Marcos’ protest against Robredo.