Bodies found stored inside old building in Cebu City | Inquirer News

Bodies found stored inside old building in Cebu City

CEBU CITY—Sixteen bodies have been stored in food freezers or placed on the floor of an abandoned building in Barangay Basak-San Nicolas since cremation facilities and burial in the city are fully booked.

ADVERTISEMENT

SJ Palomar, who owned the building, said his property had been used as a morgue of a funeral parlor in the city.

He said some of the bodies had not been claimed by the relatives since last year, while others were awaiting cremation.

FEATURED STORIES

Palomar showed up in a meeting Tuesday called by City Councilor David Tumulak after the discovery Sunday of the bodies in his building.

Tumulak and some policemen went to the building on Aug. 15 after receiving reports from concerned citizens about the mishandling of the bodies.

He said caretakers told them that three of the bodies died of suspected COVID-19, while 13 died of other diseases.

A video footage Tumulak shared to reporters showed some bodies wrapped in blankets and others placed inside body bags.

The place, he said, was filthy and unfit for human bodies.

“Why did they store the cadavers there when we could have buried them immediately,” he said in an interview on Tuesday.

“The place is very dirty, and relatives do not even know that this is how their loved ones are being treated,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

Tumulak said the relatives of the deceased should seek the help of the City Health Department, so they would be guided as to which cemetery was available for burial.

In an emergency meeting with officials of the different funeral homes in Cebu City and the City Health Department, Palomar maintained that the bodies were well taken care of.

“It just so happened that when Councilor Tumulak arrived, the bodies were on the floor. Our caretakers were arranging the cadavers at that time,” Palomar said.

Tumulak said he also found out that families of the deceased were required to pay a storage fee of P13,000 to St. Bernard Funeral Homes on the first day and P8,000 for each succeeding day.

Early this month, the funeral parlors announced that their cremation facilities were booked until the end of the month.

Department of Health data show that Cebu City recorded 112 COVID-19 deaths in the last 15 days of August.

“It is now up to the City Legal Office to determine the sanction to impose for funeral parlors who engage in this kind of scheme,” Tumulak said.

lzb
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: bodies, Burial, Cebu City, COVID-19, Cremation, Regions
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.