Former VP Binay to DOH: Discuss, don't oppose independent experts' COVID assessment | Inquirer News
Close  

Former VP Binay to DOH: Discuss, don’t oppose independent experts’ COVID assessment

/ 01:04 PM July 29, 2021
Jojo Binay to run for Senate

PHOTO from Jojo Binay’s Facebook page

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) should meet and discuss the COVID-19 situation with independent experts instead of opposing them as the nation combats the pandemic, former Vice President Jejomar Binay said Thursday.

Binay made the remark after the DOH told independent experts to be more careful with their statements about the COVID-19 pandemic in order to avoid causing panic.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Bakit ang knee-jerk reaction ng DOH leadership ay kontrahin agad ang independent experts? Why not meet and discuss instead? Akala ko ba whole-of-nation approach in fighting COVID? Bakit parang ayaw ng DOH na makinig sa ibang sektor?” Binay said in a series of tweets.

(Why is the knee-jerk reaction of the DOH to oppose independent experts? Why not meet and discuss with them instead? I thought we are having a whole-of-nation approach in fighting COVID? Why does it seem like the DOH does not want to listen to other sectors?)

FEATURED STORIES

Binay said that there seems to be no urgency in the actions of the DOH leadership even with the rising number of the more contagious COVID-19 Delta variant in the country.

“The Delta variant has the potential to bring our country to its knees. This is why everyone is concerned and putting forward possible courses of action to stop it from spreading. But we do not see any urgency in the actions of the DOH leadership,” Binay said.

“They seem to be oblivious to the fact that by their inaction, they are again putting in danger the lives of doctors, nurses, and other medical frontliners. They seem to be treating lightly the untold sufferings that an outbreak of Delta may bring to the people,” he added.

The DOH did not mention who it was referring to when it called on independent experts to be careful with their pronouncements on Tuesday.

But earlier that day, OCTA Research fellow Ranjit Rye said that Metro Manila is “officially in a surge” of COVID-19 cases after some local government units confirmed cases of the highly transmissible Delta variant.

INQUIRER.net sought the comment of the DOH but has yet to receive a reply as of posting time.

gsg

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DoH, Jejomar Binay
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.