Cagayan logs 12.5K new virus cases in 3 months, over 100 deaths monthly
MANILA, Philippines — The province of Cagayan has recorded an additional 12,500 cases in just over three months, and has been reporting more than 100 deaths monthly, its provincial health official said Monday.
In a public briefing, Cagayan Provincial Health Officer Dr. Carlos Cortina said the province’s total COVID-19 case count stands at around 15,000.
“From March 3 up to yesterday, June 13, we have 12,533 cases. We have also 301 deaths,” he said. “Makikita po natin yung mabilis na pagdami ng kaso.”
From March 2020 until March 2, 2021, the province only logged 2,542 cases and 39 deaths.
He said cases started to rise following the easing of restrictions earlier this year in order to open up the economy.
“Ang medyo nakakatakot po dito yung mga deaths po namin,” Cortina added.
He said that the province now records four to five deaths daily as opposed to the two to three fatalities it previously logs per month.
“So parang sa isang buwan ngayon, nakaka 100 plus kami for the past three months,” he added.
In May, the province was under the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) until June 15. MECQ is the second most restrictive quarantine classification in the Philippines.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.