Retired US Navy serviceman among latest COVID-19 fatalities in Olongapo City
SAN ANTONIO, Zambales–A 78-year-old retired U.S. Navy serviceman and a 67-year-old woman were the latest to succumb to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Olongapo City, an official said on Saturday (May 1).
In an advisory, Olongapo Mayor Rolen Paulino Jr. said the U.S. citizen, who resided in Barangay Barretto, contracted the virus on April 24 and was treated at a private hospital.
Although the man’s health condition improved while confined in the hospital, he eventually suffered from multiple-organ failure and pneumonia that led to his death.
The other fatality was a resident of Barangay Sta. Rita and was among the 22 new infections recorded in the city on Saturday. She was hypertensive and experienced difficulty in breathing.
Their deaths raised to 67 the number of COVID-19 fatalities in Olongapo since last year. The two were among the four elderly patients in the city who died of COVID-19 in the last three days.
The city currently has 168 active COVID-19 cases out of 1,495 infections recorded since last year. INQ
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.