About 45 PSG members infected with COVID-19, says Durante | Inquirer News
Close  

About 45 PSG members infected with COVID-19, says Durante

BUT NONE OF THEM IS PART OF DUTERTE'S CLOSE-IN SECURITY
By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 07:03 PM April 07, 2021
About 45 PSG members infected with COVID-19, says Durante

FILE PHOTO: President Rodrigo Duterte salutes outgoing Presidential Security Group (PSG) Commander Jose Niembra and incoming PSG Commander Colonel Jesus Durante III during the PSG Change of Command ceremony at the PSG Compound in Malacañang Park, Manila on February 25, 2020. REY BANIQUET/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Around 45 active cases of COVID-19 have been detected among members of the Presidential Security Group (PSG), its commander Brig. Gen. Jesus Durante III said Wednesday.

But Durante quickly clarified that no one among those infected with the new coronavirus disease is assigned as close-in security detail of President Rodrigo Duterte. He also said all infected PSG personnel are asymptomatic.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Recently we have 126 cases but now may mga na-clear na sa quarantine so we are down to around 45 active cases,” he said in an interview over state-run People’s Television Network.

Some PSG members testing positive for SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus that causes COVID-19, was the reason why the President’s public address will not push through tonight, April 7, according to Duterte’s long-time aide and now Senator Christopher “Bong” Go.

FEATURED STORIES

“As the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise in our country, the Presidential Security Group is not spared from the virus as our personnel continues to perform our mandate during presidential engagements and routine security operations,” Durante said in a separate statement.

“At the least, our PSG personnel who got infected are not directly or closely detailed with the President and are all asymptomatic without experiencing any adverse symptoms. Hence, rest assured that the President is safe and in good health,” he added.

Durante assured that all health and safety protocols are strictly enforced to manage PSG’s COVID-19 situation.

“We have established protocols to contain the spread of the virus and we will continue to enforce it so that the President is kept safe and secured from all forms of threats at all times,” he said.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte’s regular public address is moved to next week.

The PSG had previously admitted to using unauthorized vaccines to inoculate some of their members as early as September 2020.

In February, the PSG was given a compassionate use license by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for 10,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine developed by China’s Sinopharm.

KGA

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Coronavirus, COVID-19, Health, jesus durante, pandemic, President Rodrigo Duterte, presidential security group, PSG, SARS-CoV-2, Virus
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.