Leonen issues warning vs spreading fake news about 2020/21 Bar exam
MANILA, Philippines—”Disinformation is not what lawyers do,” Supreme Court Associate Justice Marvic Leonen said Thursday as he gave all those spreading fake announcements on the postponement of the 2021 Bar examination until tomorrow (Friday) to take them down.
Leonen, chairman of the 2020/21 Bar examination Committee said the examination will take place in November 2021.
“All rumors saying that it will be postponed are false information. They come from those who do not care about how this information affects others. Let this be a warning. Karma exists,” Leonen said.
Rumors spread on social media about another postponement of the Bar exam due to a spike in COVID-19 infections. The Bar review was postponed last year due to the country being quarantined since March 2020.
“We are taking screenshots and recording all those who are reposting or making false announcements. Disinformation is not what lawyers do. You have one chance (until tomorrow) to take down your efforts to spread false information,” the magistrate said in his Twitter account.
Last March 30, the Office of 2020/21 Bar Chairperson issued Bar Bulletin No. 20 extending up to April 8 the submission of letters of intent for various institutions wanting to become local testing centers.
A pilot run for the upcoming Bar exams was conducted early this year in Metro Manila, Baguio, Cebu, and Davao. The purpose of conducting the examination in multiple locations, as previously done, is to reduce the expenses of the examinees and in consideration of their safety because of the pandemic.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.