Duterte will ask Congress to delay probe on PNP-PDEA shootout — Palace
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte will ask Congress to delay its probe on the shootout between elements of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Quezon City, said Palace spokesman Harry Roque on Saturday.
In a message to reporters, Roque confirmed that the President will ask both the House of Representatives and the Senate to delay their investigations on the matter that left four people dead and four others hurt.
This is to give way for the National Bureau of Investigation’s investigation on the matter, Roque added.
“Yes to both, just to give NBI to investigate properly,” Roque said.
Duterte previously ordered that the NBI will be the sole agency to probe the shootout, citing it was to “ensure impartiality.”
House defers probe
Surigao del Sur 2nd District Rep. Robert Ace Barbers already announced that the House of Representatives will defer its probe on the matter. This hearing was originally scheduled for Monday, March 1.
Barbers, in a message to reporters, clarified that the decision was made prior to Roque’s statement.
The Senate panel on public order is likewise set to investigate the shootout on March 2.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.