Duterte remains wary of ordering resumption of face-to-face classes --Bong Go | Inquirer News
Close  

Duterte remains wary of ordering resumption of face-to-face classes –Bong Go

/ 08:50 AM February 22, 2021

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte talks to the people after holding a meeting with the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) core members at the Arcadia Active Lifestyle Center in Matina, Davao City on February 15, 2021. JOEY DALUMPINES/ PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — President Duterte remains wary of allowing the resumption of face-to-face classes amid the Covid-19 pandemic due to health concerns, Sen. Christopher “Bong” Go said Monday.

“Mismong si Pangulong Duterte ay nag-aalangan pa at ayaw niya munang payagan ang face-to-face classes. Delikado pa po daw kasi ang panahon. Takot si Pangulo dahil ayon sa kanya, we are dealing with life here,” Go said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

(President Duterte himself is wary of allowing face-to-face classes now. He said it’s still dangerous. The President is apprehensive because according to him, we are dealing with life here.)

“Pwede namang sa next regular opening ng school year sa July o kapag ligtas na,” Go added.

FEATURED STORIES

(It may be possible to resume face-to-face classes in the next regular opening of classes in July or when it’s safe.)

Senator Bong Go

Senator Bong Go

Last December, Duterte recalled his approval to conduct the pilot implementation of face-to-face classes scheduled in January this year.

Limited basis

Duterte, however, allowed last month the resumption of limited face-to-face classes for medical and allied health programs in institutions located at general community quarantine (GCQ) and MGCQ areas.

This week, Duterte is expected to decide on the recommendation of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) to place the whole country under MGCQ.

‘Vaccination first’

Go maintained that the government should first start its inoculation program before easing quarantine measures.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I am appealing to our authorities: Vaccine rollout first before MGCQ. No vaccine, no face-to-face classes,” the senator said.

INQUIRER file photo / JAM STA. ROSA

“As we do our best to return to normalcy and revive the economy, let us first ensure that the lives of our people are protected. Throughout this pandemic, we have lost lives and we cannot afford to lose more,” he said.

NEDA proposal

NEDA had recommended a nationwide MGCQ to spur more economic activity in the country.

Nine out of 17 Metro Manila mayors  backed the proposal, along with the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.

‘Premature’

The OCTA Research group, however, reported that there was “a slight upward trend” of Covid-19 cases in Metro Manila, known as one of the country’s coronavirus hotspots.

Health experts also believe that easing quarantine restriction would be premature.

gsg

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Coronavirus, coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, face-to-face classes, MGCQ, Nation, News, Senator Bong Go
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.