At least 200,000 Albay folk to be moved out of harm’s way as ‘Rolly’ draws near
LEGAZPI CITY—At least 200,000 residents of Albay province are being moved out of harm’s way in anticipation of Typhoon “Rolly” (international name Goni), which packs super typhoon-strength winds and was likely to bring flooding, lahar flow, landslides and storm surge.
Local disaster councils were bracing for heavy to intense rains.
Albay Gov. Al Francis Bichara, Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) chair, on Friday (Oct. 30), raised the red alert in the province as Rolly continued to gain strength with steady winds of 165 kph and 205 kph in gustiness. It’s moving at a speed of 20 kph, according to the state weather bureau, and expected to make landfall in the Aurora-Quezon area on Sunday or Monday.
Cedric Daep, Albay Public Safety Emergency and Management Office (Apsemo) chief, said evacuation procedure is expected to be completed by Saturday (Oct. 31).
Daep said in a phone interview that at least 37,000 families, or 184,000 villagers, are vulnerable to flooding, landslides, lahar flow and storm surge and have to be moved out.
All local disaster councils of the province’s 15 towns and three cities were directed to be on high alert and closely monitor weather updates and enforce disaster measures once the weather condition worsened.
No-sail orders had been issued for all vessels. Work had been dismissed as early as 4 p.m. on Saturday. Mall and business operations would be suspended starting on Sunday and residents were ordered not to cross rivers or go near pools of waters.
Communities were told to watch out for weather updates and to secure essential provisions ahead of Rolly’s landfall.
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.