Duterte has final say on PhilHealth
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte will respect the findings of the task force probing the alleged irregularities hounding Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth), regardless of who will be found liable.
“The President ordered the task force to conduct a fact-finding activity to recommend charges against individuals. I think the President will respect whatever evidence the task force finds, regardless of who is involved,” said presidential spokesperson Harry Roque.
Roque added, however, that the President would have the final say on the investigation report of the task force headed by Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra.
As of Monday noon, the task force has not yet submitted its investigation report to the President, which will include recommendations on the filing of charges against accountable persons.
Last week, Duterte defended Health Secretary Francisco Duque III anew, pending the release of the task force’s report.
The President said he did not see a problem if Duque’s only fault was “negligence,” as long as Duque was not guilty of corruption as chair of the PhilHealth board of directors.
Earlier, the Senate recommended that Duque be replaced as a result of its own probe into the corruption at PhilHealth. Senators also called for his resignation.
Roque declined to preempt Mr. Duterte’s actions on the task force’s report.
“Since he’s the one who created it, he will accept the factual findings of his own task force,” he said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.