Locals raise alarm vs fishy Pampanga COVID-19 hospitals exclusive for Chinese | Inquirer News
Close  

Locals raise alarm vs fishy Pampanga COVID-19 hospitals exclusive for Chinese

Senator Lapid asked to investigate
/ 03:17 PM September 07, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Some Pampanga residents have raised fear over “underground” COVID-19 hospitals in the province supposedly exclusively catering to Chinese nationals, and in separate e-mails asked Senator Lito Lapid to conduct an investigation into the matter.

Leth Reyes, a native of Porac town, said news reports regarding these “clandestine” hospitals “worried me and my family.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“I am also wondering why [they are] only accepting Chinese people from that hospital,” she said.

“I am but a simple homemaker. As a mother, I am in fear and disheartened that such establishments exist right in the heart of my beloved province in the midst of such uncertain times,” she added.

FEATURED STORIES

Meanwhile, 55-year-old Arnel Espinosa urged Lapid – a native of Pampanga who previously served as the province’s governor for three terms from 1995 to 2004 to punish those who will be found liable in the existence of the said hospitals.

He expressed both disappointment and fear regarding the “underground COVID-19 hospitals in Pampanga which is exclusive for Chinese patients who are freely roaming the country.”

Another concerned citizen, Jason Cruz, said he is vulnerable to COVID-19 due to his health condition and expressed concerns that the Chinese patients of these hospitals “may be the ones spreading” the virus.

“I am a person who is sick and in danger because of COVID-19. It is difficult for me now because of what is happening in the country today,” he wrote in his email to Lapid.

He also said authorities should continue their investigation to apprehend and nail the people behind the illegal operation.

Another email sender, Victoria Lagman Sanchez, said she worries about her grandparents, who are currently residing in Pampanga.

“Hindi po ako makauwi sa kadahilanan ng pandemya. Sana po ay aksyunan ng inyong tanggapan ito. Patuloy po akong aasa na kayo po ay aming matatakbuhan,” she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Authorities have earlier raided separate illegal healthcare facilities in Parañaque City, Pampanga, and Makati City operating as hospitals and pharmacies primarily catering to Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators workers and Chinese nationals.

In May, Senator Risa Hontiveros called for the immediate deportation and blacklisting of Chinese nationals involved in the unauthorized operation of these medical facilities and clinics.

“They have zero regulation…We will be putting communities at risk and waste our quarantine efforts because of these medical facilities,” she had said.

“We can never be lenient towards this reckless behavior. Buhay ng mga Pilipino ang nakasalalay (The lives of the Filipinos are at stake),” she added as she called on the government to ramp up efforts in cracking down on underground clinics.

KGA

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Chinese nationals, COVID-19, Nation, News, pogo, Senator Lito Lapid, underground clinics
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.