Aurora, Quirino virus-free no more
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO — The provinces of Aurora and Quirino on Wednesday recorded their first cases of the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) despite strict border closures and health protocols, officials said.
Aurora’s first infected patient, a woman in her 50s from Pasay City, went to Baler, the province’s capital, on Aug. 4 and quarantined herself at home. She was admitted to Aurora Medical Hospital, also in Baler, due to a stroke.
“The patient was required to take a swab test because she had not completed the required 14-day quarantine since coming to Aurora,” Gov. Gerardo Noveras told the Inquirer by phone.
Laboratory results released on Wednesday detected SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.
At least 20 people had been initially identified as having contacts with her, Noveras said.
For 160 days since March, Aurora had not recorded any COVID-19 case after the local government banned visitors.
In Quirino, Gov. Dakila Carlo Cua and his family were forced to go into quarantine after admitting that the province’s first case of COVID-19 turned out to be their house help.
Cua and his household members were swabbed for COVID-19 on Wednesday in their house at Barangay Mangandingay in Cabarroguis town.
They were surprised to learn that their 24-year-old house help tested positive for the virus despite having no travel history, Cua said.
“We do not know where the virus came from so we should always be alert. Do not panic,” he said. —REPORTS FROM TONETTE OREJAS AND VILLAMOR VISAYA JR.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.