Sinas to stay in post despite eviction issue – PNP
MANILA, Philippines — Despite being embroiled in another controversy, National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Maj. Gen. Debold Sinas would not be asked to go on leave while an investigation was ongoing, the spokesperson of the Philippine National Police (PNP) said on Tuesday.
“NCRPO chief PMGen Debold Sinas remains in his post. Being a presidential appointee, he will continue to perform his duties and responsibilities as required amid [the] pandemic,” PNP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac told the Inquirer in a text message.
Sinas and more than a dozen armed policemen in camouflage uniforms tried to evict the family of retired police officer Arnel delos Santos from their house at Fort Bonifacio in Taguig City on Saturday afternoon.Delos Santos’ son, Arles, said that Sinas shouted at them to leave immediately despite being shown documents to prove they were occupying the property legally.
Tenant cries harassment
Arles took a video of the incident but said a police officer grabbed his phone and even tried to punch him.
Philippine National Police chief Gen. Archie Gamboa had already ordered an investigation of the confrontation that was captured on the family’s closed-circuit television camera.
On top of the controversy, Sinas and 18 other police officers are facing criminal charges in the Taguig Prosecutor’s Office for violating the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act and Taguig City Ordinance No. 12 series 2020, which requires the wearing of face mask and the observance of physical distancing to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
This was after they were photographed without masks and standing closely together during a “mañanita” to celebrate Sinas’ birthday in Camp Bagong Diwa on May 8. At that time, Gamboa also said he would not relieve the NCRPO chief despite his obvious disregard of quarantine protocols. Even President Duterte defended Sinas, saying he was a “good and honest” police officer.
Conditions for stay
As for the eviction order against Delos Santos, Banac said the former policeman “was allowed to occupy the old motor pool for the billeting area for his family provided that when he retires, of course, he has to vacate that because he does not own the place.”
However, the family, who had been “given a month to vacate the place” after their father’s retirement in 2018, refused to leave despite the several notices sent to them, he added.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.