outbrain
Close  

Cebu City remains under ECQ because hospitals are already overwhelmed – Duque

/ 04:34 AM July 08, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Cebu City remains under an enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), the highest quarantine restriction level placed by the national government, as hospitals are already overwhelmed.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said this during President Rodrigo Duterte’s briefing early Wednesday morning, noting that the quick case doubling time — or the amount of time needed for an area’s number of cases to double — is too short, at less than seven days.

ADVERTISEMENT

“That puts them [Cebu City residents] at high risk, and their critical care utilization rate is high. It means their health systems capacity is already overwhelmed,” Duque told Duterte, speaking partly in Filipino.

A high critical care utilization rate, Duque explained, means that many COVID-19 patients are already using hospital beds and mechanical ventilators.

FEATURED STORIES

Cebu City is the only area in the country that is under an ECQ, with quarantine regulations in other parts like Metro Manila having been eased down.

Previously, Duterte assigned Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu to spearhead the national government’s response to the pandemic in the said city.

The President also blamed Cebuanos for being overconfident, as some people were seen roaming around outside while other areas were having a hard time fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Wednesday, Duterte again insisted that Cebu residents were nonchalant towards the health crisis, despite the strict implementation of quarantine rules by the police.

Earlier, Cimatu said that he was confident that Cebu would be downgraded to a general community quarantine by July 16.

As of Tuesday, the Philippines registered 47,873 confirmed COVID-19 cases, the second-highest infection rates in Southeast Asia.  Of this number, 1,309 patients have died while 12,386 have recovered.

/atm

ADVERTISEMENT

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 2019 novel coronavirusirus, Cebu City COVID-19 cases, Cebu City ECQ, coronavirus pandemic, Francisco Duque III, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.