outbrain
Close  

Palace respects SC junking of quo warranto case vs ABS-CBN

/ 04:05 PM June 23, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Tuesday said it respects the decision of the Supreme Court to dismiss the quo warranto case filed against television giant ABS-CBN.

In a statement, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Palace would let Solicitor-General Jose Calida decide on his next legal steps.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We respect the decision of the high court, a separate and co-equal branch of government, on the quo warranto case filed against ABS-CBN Corporation… We leave it to the Solicitor-General as the Petitioner to decide on his next legal steps,” said Roque.

“Meanwhile on the issue of renewal of ABS-CBN franchise, we consider this a prerogative of Congress, which is presently deliberating on the matter,” he added

FEATURED STORIES

SC Public Information Chief Atty. Brian Keith Hosaka said the high court dismissed Calida’s petition “on the ground of mootness.” The case is already considered moot since the television giant’s franchise has expired last month.

Calida had asked the SC to stop ABS-CBN’s operation, citing several violations of its franchise.

ABS-CBN went off the air on the evening of May 5 in compliance with a cease and desist order of National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) pending congressional approval of its franchise renewal.

ABS-CBN’s legislative franchise expired on May 4. But lawmakers were expecting NTC to release a provisional franchise to the network after they failed to pass any of the bills filed seeking to extend the media giant’s legislative franchise.

ABS-CBN’s franchise woes followed President Duterte’s repeated public rants against the media network since taking power in 2016. He has publicly threatened to block the franchise renewal of ABS-CBN for not airing a paid 2016 presidential campaign advertisement.

Five months before ABS-CBN’s franchise expired, Duterte even vowed that he will see to it that ABS-CBN will be “out.”

EDV
ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: ABS-CBN, Congress, Malacañang, Media, Philippines, press freedom, Rodrigo Duterte, Supreme Court
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.