outbrain
Close  

NBI starts probe on rape threat against Frankie Pangilinan

By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 09:40 AM June 22, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Monday said it has started its probe on the rape threat against Frankie Pangilinan, daughter of Megastar Sharon Cuneta and Senator Francis Pangilinan.

“May directive sa amin si OIC ng NBI (Eric Distor) para tingnan ‘yung issue,” NBI Cybercrime Division chief Victor Lorenzo said in an interview over Teleradyo.

ADVERTISEMENT

(NBI OIC Eric Distor has a directive for us to look into the issue.)

“So far inumpisahan pa lang namin, tinitingnan namin yung kung saan kami mag-uumpisa, ano magiging lead,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

(So far, we’ve just started. We’re looking at where to start and what will be the lead.)

Cuneta, over the weekend, said she would do whatever it takes to find the netizen and sue him for threatening to rape her daughter Frankie.

The rape threat came after Frankie stirred a debate on social media on #HijaAko, an online movement to end victim-blaming in cases of sexual violence and harassment.

Lorenzo said the incident could be a case of light threat or unjust vexation, which is punishable by up to 12 years under the Cybercrime Prevention Act.

“Pwede ‘yan sa light threat, at the same time, puwede ‘yan sa unjust vexation in relation to Cybercrime Prevention Act,” Lorenzo said.

(This can be a light threat and at the same time, unjust vexation in relation to Cybercrime Prevention Act.)

“Under the revised penal code, mababa lang ang penalty ng light threat at sa unjust vexation pero ‘pag in relation to Cybercrime Prevention Act, one degree higher ‘yun, mas mabigat yung term, six years and one day to 12 years,” he explained.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Under the revised penal code, light threat and unjust vexation have lighter penalties but if it’s in relation to Cybercrime Prevention Act, it’s one degree higher, the term is heavier from six years and a day to 12 years [in prison].)

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra had confirmed that Cuneta already reached out to him regarding the threat against her daughter.

Guevarra said Cuneta has already identified the man, his location and the name and address of his employer.

JE
Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cybercrime Prevention Act, Francis Pangilinan, Frankie Pangilinan, National Bureau of Investigation, NBI, Sharon Cuneta
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.