Robredo bats for work-from-home scheme amid COVID-19 scare
MANILA, Philippines — Saying that imposing a four-day workweek is “not enough” in helping combat the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Vice President Leni Robredo on Thursday urged the private sector and government offices to implement the work from home scheme instead.
“Sa pagkakataong ito, kailangan kong idiin: Panahon nang ipatupad ang areglong work-from-home,” Robredo said in a Facebook video.
(In this moment, I need to stress: It’s time to implement the work from home arrangement.)
“Huwag na nating ipilit pumasok pa sa opisina ang ating mga empleyado, maliban na lang ang mga nakatutok sa pagpapaabot ng kaukulang serbisyo na maaaring umampat sa pagkalat ng virus,” she added.
(We should not pressure our employees to go to the office, except for those who focus on giving service that may help contain the spread of the virus.)
This comes after Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said that the government was eyeing to implement a four-day work scheme for government offices. As for private firms, the Department of Labor and Employment Department of Labor and Employment issued an advisory regulating flexi-work arrangement in private firms.
So far, the Philippines has 52 confirmed cases of COVID-19, along with two fatalities.
Robredo urged government offices and private firms to look for alternative ways to continue their operations.
“Kung talagang kailangan, magpatupad na lamang tayo ng skeletal staffing sa ating mga tanggapan,” she said.
(If it’s really needed, let us implement skeletal staffing in our offices.)
She also raised what experts said that “social distancing” is one of the best ways to contain the spread of the virus.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.