outbrain
Close  

5th confirmed coronavirus case in PH a ‘local transmission,’ says WHO

By: - Reporter / @CMarquezINQ
/ 06:13 PM March 06, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The country’s fifth confirmed case of the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) involving a 62-year-old Filipino male is already considered as “local transmission,” the World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday.

Local transmission is defined as the transfer of the virus that causes the disease in a local geographical setting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Rabindra Abeyasinghe, WHO’s representative in the Philippines, however, clarified that the case will not be a widespread contamination for now, as long as contact tracing is still being conducted.

“Even the fifth case is a local transmission, but getting another case in a local contact does not mean widespread contamination. We already know that this disease is transmitted upon close contacts,” he told reporters when asked if the fifth patient’s relatives also tested positive for COVID-19 later on.

FEATURED STORIES

When there is already a “widespread transmission beyond the geographical area,” Abeyasinghe said this is already considered a community transmission.

The admission of a local transmission is contrary to a statement of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III earlier that it is still premature to call the positive finding for COVID-19 of the two Filipinos as a local transmission in the Philippines.

“No transmission to speak of as of yet because we only have one, then that’s why we are doing contact tracing,” Duque said, noting that the fifth case, who has no travel history, is just a local case.

Duque added that if they confirm more case then that’s when the health department will officially announce that there is local transmission in the country.

“There is only one [local] case but as soon as we do get confirmation or once we get more positive confirmed cases then that’s the time that we can say that there is a local transmission, which we are preparing for,” he said.

Earlier, the health department said the fifth patient who tested positive for COVID-19 is a 62-year-old Filipino and was a regular visitor at a Muslim prayer hall in Barangay Greenhills in San Juan City.

The WHO official however said it would be “overreacting” if people will stop going to prayer halls.

ADVERTISEMENT

EDV

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, COVID-19 update, Department of Health, Nation, Rabindra Abeyasinghe, San Juan, World Health Organization
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.