outbrain
Close  

Demolition company tears down 97-year-old home by mistake

/ 06:19 PM February 26, 2020
demolition

The 97-year-old house bulldozed by mistake (Image: Facebook/Bobby Lindamood Jr.)

A demolition company accidentally bulldozed a 97-year-old home in Dallas, USA, a mistake that it said was the worst it has committed in the company’s 15 years of existence.

JR’s Demolition tore down the house last Wednesday, Feb. 19, as per ABC affiliate WFAA on Feb. 20.

ADVERTISEMENT

The incident took place after the company mistook the home for another property they were set to demolish in the same neighborhood. After the accident, the company’s owner, Bobby Lindamood, apologized and admitted that his business had made a mistake.

“The house wasn’t marked [with an address], and it had no power and no gas,” Lindamood was quoted as saying. “All I can say is I’m sorry. It’s our worst mistake and we’ll make it right.”

FEATURED STORIES

The home’s owner, Jeremy Wenniger, only found out about the mistake through a phone call since he is currently based in California. He bought the house last year after his friend, the former owner, passed away.

“I stood in the kitchen when my friend was dying, two months before she passed [in 2018], and she asked me if I would save her home and not bulldoze it,” Wenninger told the news outlet. “And I did everything in my power to make that happen, and I feel like I’ve just been knocked off my feet.”

Even though he no longer lived in Dallas, he said he was in the process of renovating the said property. He also stated that no one had lived in the house since his friend’s death.

While Wenniger is said to own the home, Dallas County property records list Robb Hagested as its owner. Hagestad explained that he helped buy the house and acquire the deed with Wenninger after his friend’s passing.

“All the windows were intact, there was plastic covering the hardwood floors,” Hagestad was quoted as saying. “I can’t even imagine that they wouldn’t pick up a phone and check if they were at the right place. It’s insane they would drive a bulldozer through it.”

Following the incident, Lindamood issued a statement on his Facebook page on Feb. 21.

He explained that his company had been in the demolition business for 15 years and that the mistake was the first incident “wherein the wrong structure was demolished.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you to the multiples of people who have reached out to us this morning. Your support is really needed at this time…

Posted by Bobby Lindamood Jr on Friday, February 21, 2020

He also reiterated that the home “did not have any house numbers on it and any street curb address was covered by water and debris from the recent heavy rain events.” Lindamood has spoken with Wenniger and is working with him toward a resolution. Ryan Arcadio /ra

RELATED STORIES: 

5-year-old boy saves 13 people from burning house

WATCH: Dog stuck on roof rescued by firefighter

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: California, Dallas, demolition, houses, United States
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.