ABS-CBN should have apologized to Duterte earlier, Palace says
MANILA, Philippines — Media giant ABS-CBN should have apologized to President Rodrigo Duterte earlier, Malacañang said Monday.
“Dapat noon pa na nila ginawa ‘yan (They should have done that a long time ago),” Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a press briefing when sought for reaction over ABS-CBN’s apology.
ABS-CBN President Carlo Katigbak, during a Senate hearing on the network’s franchise renewal, apologized to the President over a controversial ad it aired during the 2016 campaign season.
Katigbak also admitted the network was unable to air P7 million worth of Duterte’s ads, but assured that P4 million was refunded and accepted by the then-presidential candidate’s camp.
“We acknowledge our shortcoming in our failure to release the refund in a timely manner,” Katigback said, referring to the remaining P2.6 million which he said was “no longer accepted by the President.”
Duterte previously launched threats towards ABS-CBN, accusing the network of estafa for allegedly not providing him the airtime he had paid for during the campaign in the 2016 presidential elections.
“Pero I’m glad ABS-CBN finally admitted its shortcomings to the President (But I’m glad ABS-CBN finally admitted its shortcomings to the President),” Panelo said.
But it’s up to the President whether he would accept the network’s apology, Panelo noted.
“Na kay Presidente ‘yun (It’s up to the President). I don’t know how to respond to that. It’s a personal decision,” he said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.