Couple arrested after baby tests positive for meth
A couple was arrested on Jan. 28 after police discovered that their 16-month-old child had ingested methamphetamine.
The baby was first taken to a clinic in Arkansas in the US by his grandmother before finding that he consumed the drug, as per CBS-affiliate KFSM on Feb. 4.
The grandmother took the child to the medical center after he started crying and scratching his nose repeatedly. Doctors treated the baby’s condition as an allergic reaction, hoping it was nothing serious.
However, things took a turn for the worse when the medicine did not work on the child. Medical professionals then advised the grandmother to take the baby to the emergency room. After arriving at the ER, the baby tested positive for meth.
Police believe that the baby ingested the drug from his family’s home in Gentry city, as per report. The child had been left in the care of his mother Shimay Holt, 29, after her partner Clifford Kelley, 32, went to work.
Holt and Kelley reportedly gave different stories when they were separately interviewed by authorities about how the drug entered the child’s system. Aside from their inconsistent reasons, none of them took responsibility for the incident, prompting the officers to arrest them.
The two were taken into custody on one count each for introduction of a controlled substance into another’s body and first-degree endangering of a minor’s welfare.
They are currently being held on a $30,000 bond each. The report also stated that they are set to appear in court in March. Ryan Arcadio /ra
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.