Duterte orders temporary travel ban on visitors from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau | Inquirer News
Close  

Duterte orders temporary travel ban on visitors from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau

/ 09:06 AM February 02, 2020
duterte

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte. (JOEY DALUMPINES/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO)

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has decided to impose a temporary travel ban on visitors from mainland China and its special administrative regions, Senator Bong Go disclosed Sunday morning.

Go said he met with Duterte on Saturday night where among those discussed is the expansion of the temporary travel ban currently imposed on Hubei province to the rest of mainland China as well as its special administrative regions, Macau and Hong Kong.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Sa ngayon ay mag-i-implement na ng temporary travel ban on travelers coming from any part of China and its special administrative regions on top of the existing temporary travel ban imposed on those coming from Hubei province and other affected areas,” Go in an interview with DZBB.

Go said Duterte took into consideration concerns raised by key government officials and health experts in adopting the recommendation to expand the imposition of the temporary travel ban.

FEATURED STORIES

“I wish to emphasize that we are not singling out Chinese nationals dito. It covers all travelers from China to the Philippines regardless of nationality,” Go said.

The order, however, does not cover Filipino citizens, Go clarified.

Duterte’s earlier order only covered Chinese nationals from China’s Hubei province, where Wuhan City —the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak—is located, as well as parts of China where there have been reports of confirmed cases of the virus.

The health department last week confirmed that a 38-year-old Chinese tourist has been found infected with the new coronavirus that started in the city of Wuhan, China.

The Chinese woman came from Wuhan and arrived in the Philippines on January 21. She was admitted to a government hospital on January 25 due to mild cough.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: China, Coronavirus, duterte, travel ban
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.