Boy starts fire using magnifying glass he got for Christmas | Inquirer News

Boy accidentally sets yard on fire with magnifying glass he got as gift for Christmas

/ 11:48 AM December 31, 2019
Boy sets fire to yard

A 12-year-old boy started a fire with the magnifying glass he got for Christmas.  Image: Facebook/Nyssa-Lynn Parson

A married couple got an unpleasant surprise on Christmas Day when they found their front yard ablaze caused by their 12-year-old son. The Parson family had given the boy a magnifying glass for the holidays, thinking he would use it for reading.

Nissa-Lynn Parson, Cayden’s mother, said her son was an avid reader as per her Facebook post last Thursday, Dec. 26. The mother from Texas, USA, also described her child as “very curious” and “interested in science,” thus encouraging her and her husband to buy Caydence the gift.  


“Christmas Day was memorable to say the least (fire emoji),” Nissa-Lynn said with humor.

The interior decorator found out that Cayden, instead of using the magnifying glass to help him read, had another use for it in mind, as per her status on social media. 


“We discovered that he and his two brothers went out on the driveway and burned a couple holes in some paper,” the mom narrated. “Everything was under control until the boys came running into the house telling us that a corner of the lawn was on fire and the Christmas lights were melting!”

She and her husband, Justin, immediately rushed outside and saw that the fire was quickly spreading in the grass. The Parson family grabbed buckets, while the husband turned on the sprinkler. The mom grabbed blankets to smother the fire and to keep it from spreading to the neighbors’ lawns.

“What a sight to see – a bunch of people running around crazy trying to put a front lawn fire out while wearing matching Christmas jammies!” Nyssa-Lyn jokily stated in her post.

The mom reiterated that the fire was an accident. She even jested people to never buy their sons a magnifying glass.

Nyssa-Lyn said, “It could have been worse but it wasn’t. Instead of a tragedy it will now be a Christmas to remember! 2019- The Christmas the lawn lit on fire.”  /ra


Teen kills, tortures with crucifix alleged pedophile Catholic priest

Dog turns on microwave, accidentally starts kitchen fire

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Christmas, Fire, gifts, magnifying glass, United States
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2022 | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.