Heart ailment? Aquino says he’s only heartbroken — Valte
MANILA, Philippines – Former president Benigno Aquino III has belied reports that he was set to undergo a heart procedure, saying in jest that he is only “heartbroken”, according to his former spokesperson Abigail Valte.
Valte said on Monday that she had talked with Aquino following social media reports that the former president was brought to the Makati Medical Center unconscious.
She added that Aquino, in high spirits, was really at the said hospital, but only for a check-up and a routine procedure. However, Valte admitted that Aquino is under observation.
“Former President Noynoy Aquino is at the Makati Medical Center for a scheduled check up and a routine procedure. While he is currently under observation, I was able to speak to him and apprise him of what is being reported in media,” she said in a message to reporters.
“Nagbiro pa na baka daw kaya heart procedure ang balita kasi heartbroken siya. He’s alright and in high spirits, and thanks everyone for their concern,” she added.
Aquino has encountered several issues in the past, recently admitting that he contracted pneumonia. He was also missing during the death anniversary commemoration of his late father, former senator Benigno Aquino Jr.
Valte previously said that Aquino skipped the event because of flu.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.