Health chief Duque: Dengue cases taper off nationwide
MANILA, Philippines — Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said the number of dengue cases had tapered off nationwide, with only four regions reporting an increase in the incidence of the mosquito-borne disease. Based on the Epidemiology Bureau’s monitoring, there were 4,438 new dengue cases and eight deaths reported from Oct. 27 to Nov. 2. The figure is 37 percent lower compared to the same period last year, when there were 7,025 cases and 37 deaths. “Hopefully, this is the end of our dengue epidemic,” Duque said. Among regions, Bicol, Calabarzon, Ilocos and the National Capital Region were the only areas where a spike in dengue cases was observed. Bicol had the highest increase at 102 percent, or 164 cases. Overall, there were 387,254 cases nationwide and 1,452 deaths, or a 99-percent increase from last year. —JOVIC YEE
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.