Close  

DOJ wraps up probe of Albayalde, 13 others

/ 04:30 AM November 19, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday wrapped up its preliminary investigation into the criminal complaint filed against the former Philippine National Police chief, Police Gen. Oscar Albayalde, and 13 former subordinates for allegedly conspiring to let a drug lord escape in exchange for P55 million and 200 kilos of “shabu” (crystal meth) in 2013.

The DOJ panel of state prosecutors led by Senior Assistant State Prosecutor Alexander Suarez received the final sworn statements from Albayalde and Police Maj. Rodney Baloyo IV, who led the drug raid in Mexico, Pampanga, in 2013, seeking the dismissal of the complaint filed by the PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG).

ADVERTISEMENT

Suarez said they would decide whether to file charges in court or to dismiss the complaint, without necessarily waiting for the 90-day prescribed period to issue a resolution.

Resolution forthcoming

“We cannot give you a specific period when it will be resolved but definitely a resolution would be forthcoming as soon as possible,” he told reporters after the fifth and final hearing on Monday.

FEATURED STORIES

The DOJ panel of prosecutors will make its decision based on the PNP-CIDG’s complaint, which in turn was mainly based on the testimonies given during the Senate blue ribbon committee inquiry last month, and the counteraffidavits of the respondent police officers.

Insufficient evidence

Baloyo and 12 police officers face the same charges that were investigated by the DOJ in 2014, i.e. that they allegedly misappropriated seized illegal drugs, took a bribe of P55 million and a sports utility vehicle, and perjured themselves to cover the escape of drug lord Johnson Lee.

The DOJ dismissed the complaint for insufficient evidence.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, however, ordered another investigation after the Senate blue ribbon committee chair, Sen. Richard Gordon, redirected his inquiry into scams in New Bilibid Prison to the so-called ninja cops and their connection to Albayalde, who was Pampanga police director during the 2013 raid.

The PNP-CIDG included Albayalde as a respondent after he resigned as PNP chief in October, a few weeks shy of his retirement.

Albayalde was also accused of misappropriating confiscated drugs, graft, qualified bribery, falsification of public documents, perjury and dereliction of duty along with his 13 former men.

In his counteraffidavit, he said the PNP-CIDG merely adopted the allegations in the earlier dismissed complaint and failed to prove how he supposedly conspired with the police operatives.

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Albayalde, Department of Justice, DoJ, Illegal drugs, Justice System, Oscar Albayalde, shabu
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Marco Gallo not out to become ‘the next James Reid’

December 16, 2019 12:02 AM

lifestyle

French New Wave icon Anna Karina dies at 79

December 15, 2019 10:42 PM

sports

Pogoy plays through pain, helps TNT get crucial win

December 15, 2019 10:06 PM

newsinfo

New Zealand eruption death toll rises to 18

December 15, 2019 09:33 PM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.