MMDA assures public: No escorts for Panelo’s commute challenge
MANILA, Philippines — The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Thursday said they will not be deploying any personnel to assist Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo in his “commute challenge.”
“Kung iniisip niyo na may mga escorts from MMDA, etcetera, Wala po kaming ganung deployment for tomorrow para po kay Secretary Panelo,” MMDA spokesperson Celine Pialago said at the Kapihan sa Pantalan in Port Area, Manila when asked if the MMDA will send escorts to assist Panelo in using public transportation.
[If you are thinking that there are escorts from MMDA, etcetera, We don’t have any deployment for Secretary Panelo tomorrow.]
Panelo previously said he will be taking public transportation in going to Malacañang on Friday after accepting the challenge of youth group Anakbayan for government officials to use public transportation in going to work everyday and experience what commuters go through everyday.
Pialago said Malacañang also did not coordinate with their office for Panelo’s assistance.
“If you are expecting that Secretary Panelo is already coordinating with our office, the answer is no, Walang coordination na ganun. [We have no coordination with Malacañang].” she said.
Aside from Panelo, Anakbayan also challenged Pialago, President Rodrigo Duterte and Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade to take public transportation. /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.