outbrain
Close  

Solons hit Napoles’ inclusion on list of convicts freed under GCTA

By: - Reporter / @DYGalvezINQ
/ 08:13 PM September 12, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — Party-list lawmakers on Thursday questioned the inclusion of alleged P10-billion pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Napoles on the list of convicts supposedly released under the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA). 

Senator Richard Gordon earlier confirmed that Napoles, who was convicted of plunder, was on the list of heinous crime convicts who had been released under the good conduct law since 2014. In documents obtained by Inquirer, it showed Napoles was also charged with rape. 

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: ‘Janet Lim Napoles’ listed among convicts freed on good conduct

Bayan Muna party-list Rep. Carlos Zarate and chairman Neri Colmenares pointed out that Napoles was supposedly freed on Nov. 12, 2018, where Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa was then the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief.

FEATURED STORIES

 “Another question is why was her supposed crime rape and she was supposedly released on good behavior last November 2018? Who signed her release papers? Did money changed hands and why was she not released?” Colmenares asked in a statement.

Meanwhile, Zarate said that a lifestyle check must be conducted on BuCor officers since 2014, pointing out there seems to be a “mafia inside BuCor.”

“Mukhang ginawang kumikitang kabuhayan ng mga opisyal ng Bucor ang ‘GCTA scam’ at kailangang magkaroon ng lifestyle checl ang mga opisyales ng BuCor mula 2014,” the House Deputy Minority leader said.

Anti-Crime and Terrorism Community Involvement and Support (ACT-CIS) Party-list Rep. Eric Yap said the news about Napoles’ inclusion on GCTA-freed heinous crime convicts is worrisome.

“Noong una kong nabasa ito, akala ko fake news. Lalo tayong nangangamba baka may nangyayari nga na GCTA for sale sa BuCor,” Yap said in a separate statement.

“Hindi sapat na tinanggal lang sa serbisyo ang mga opisyal nito, dapat na patuloy na gumulong ang pagdinig ukol sa GCTA mess na kinakaharap ng BuCor,” he added.

He said he will file a House measure that will clearly define good conduct and provide conditions in the grant of GCTA.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Gusto kong idiin na patuloy nating babantayan ito at hindi tayo tatalikod sa nasimulan nating pagtutol sa pag-abuso sa batas na ito na magpapalaya sa mga katulad ni Janet Napoles,”  Yap added.

The issue on the GCTA law sparked due to the reported aborted release of convicted rapist and murderer former Calauan mayor Antonio Sanchez. /je

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: freed convicts, GCTA, inclusion, latest news, latest updates, list, Local news, Napoles, news, Philippines news updates
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.