Close  
622 PEOPLE DEAD SINCE JANUARY

DOH declares national dengue epidemic

/ 07:26 AM August 07, 2019

Faced with a “staggering” rate of infection placed at 5,100 cases per week, the Department of Health (DOH) on Tuesday declared a national dengue epidemic that has so far claimed the lives of at least 622 people since January.

ADVERTISEMENT

The announcement came three weeks after the DOH issued a national dengue alert following a spike in reported cases of the mosquito-borne viral disease.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said 146,062 dengue cases were recorded nationwide from Jan. 1 to July 20, or 98 percent higher than those reported in the same period last year.

“It is important that a national epidemic be declared to identify where a localized response is needed and to enable the local government units to use their quick response fund to address the epidemic,” Duque said at a press briefing at the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) in Camp Aguinaldo.

No national emergency

Dengue is caused by a virus carried by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. It has four known strains and can be fatal. There is no known cure.

The infection triggers a severe flu-like illness, often followed by a severe drop in a patient’s blood platelet count.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said a national emergency or state of calamity had not been declared, noting that there were “just areas where there are many cases of dengue.”

Samar is the latest province to declare a state of calamity, allowing it to use part of its calamity fund to help contain the illness. Zamboanga Sibugay, Cavite, South Cotabato, Leyte and Eastern Samar earlier made the declaration.

Some cities and municipalities have also declared a state of calamity. These include the Island Garden City of Samal and Iloilo City, and the towns of Rizal and Sofronio Española in Palawan, Pontevedra and President Roxas in Capiz, Maasin in Iloilo, Culasi and Sabaste in Antique, and Tantangan and Norala in South Cotabato.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lorenzana said that as chair of the NDRRMC, he had issued a memorandum circular “enjoining all member-agencies to support the nationwide dengue epidemic response.”

He directed all agencies to support the efforts of the DOH to “stop the epidemic or eliminate this epidemic once and for all because as the secretary of health said, the number (of dengue cases) is ‘staggering.’”

Worst-hit regions

Based on a DOH dengue surveillance report, Western Visayas has the biggest number of cases with 23,330, followed by Calabarzon with 16,515. Zamboanga Peninsula reported 12,317 cases; Northern Mindanao, 11,455; and Soccsksargen, 11,083 cases.

Seven regions—Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula and Northern Mindanao—have exceeded the epidemic threshold, while Ilocos, Central Visayas and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao have surpassed the alert threshold level.

The surge in dengue cases has prompted a group of doctors, scientists and health professionals to call on the government to lift the ban on Dengvaxia vaccine and allow its limited private use.

The Doctors for Truth and Public Welfare issued the call on Aug. 1 after Malacañang said the Duterte administration was open to resuming the use of the vaccine.

DOH declares national dengue epidemic

MUST MAKE ROOM Due to a surge in dengue cases, the management of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo Memorial Hospital in Trece Martires City, Cavite province, has even used its chapel to accommodate patients. —LYN RILLON

Not cost-effective

Dengvaxia was banned in 2017 after its manufacturer disclosed that the vaccine could cause severe dengue in patients with no prior exposure to the virus.

As for the possibility of using Dengvaxia in helping stop the epidemic, Duque said the World Health Organization had not recommended the vaccine as an outbreak response.

He said Dengvaxia was not cost-effective at P1,000 per dose and was not aimed at the most vulnerable age group (5-9 years old).

“It is not recommended for mass vaccination because there is no reliable test that would establish prior dengue infection. If there is, this particular test cross-reacts with several other viruses,” the health secretary said.

“Who knows that severe dengue reaction will not occur in a particular individual? So there’s a risk,” he said.

Group of patients

Besides health professionals, a group of patients is calling on the government not to deprive the public of its right to access medicines, including Dengvaxia.

“We hope that we could go back to preventing dengue because there’s a vaccine for it. Let us not politicize the issue because a majority of those who are dying [from dengue] are children,” Ma. Fatima Lorenzo, president of the Lorenzo Philippine Alliance of Patient Organizations, told reporters on Tuesday.

In Cagayan de Oro City, Dr. Adriano Suba-an, acting health director for Northern Mindanao, said 15,995 dengue cases had been monitored in the region from January to Aug. 3, an increase of 62 percent from the same period last year.

At least 60 deaths have been reported.

In Southern Mindanao and Soccsksargen, Digos City posted the highest number of dengue cases in Davao del Sur, while Kidapawan City also registered the biggest number of cases in North Cotabato.—With reports from Jovic Yee, Joey S. Gabieta, Jigger J. Jerusalem, Eldie S. Aguirre and Williamor Magbanua

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: dengue epidemic, Department of Health, DoH, Francisco Duque III
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

US vaping illnesses top 500, Missouri man is 8th death

September 20, 2019 06:40 AM

newsinfo

Busted sex den offered 51 Chinese women

September 20, 2019 05:42 AM

newsinfo

In the Know: Polio

September 20, 2019 05:42 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.