Close  

Food poisoning victims positive for skin bacteria

/ 05:03 AM July 10, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — People who suffered food poisoning during former first lady Imelda Marcos’ birthday party have tested positive for staphylococcus aureus, a type of bacteria usually found on the skin.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque said on Tuesday that this was the initial finding of laboratory tests based on rectal swabs taken from 276 people.

ADVERTISEMENT

After eating the packed meals served at Marcos’ 90th birthday bash in Pasig City on July 3, some of the attendees started vomiting and complaining of dizziness. The VIP guests were served different food.

Duque, who was at the Department of Health’s school-based immunization program in Valenzuela City, said that bacterial growth could have occurred during the preparation of the meals.

The Food and Drug Administration is expected to release the results of tests conducted on the boiled eggs, adobo and rice served to ordinary guests during the party. —Nikka G. Valenzuela

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Food Poisoning, Imelda Marcos
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.