Close  

15 more Chinese restos, stores shut down

By: - Reporter / @dexcabalzaINQ
/ 05:18 AM June 28, 2019
18 Chinese restos, firms shuttered in Parañaque City

CLOSED FOR BUSINESS As workers and clients of one of the erring Chinese restaurants look on, officials of the Parañaque business permits and licensing office implement a closure order. —PHOTO COURTESY OF PARAÑAQUE PIO

Fifteen more Chinese restaurants and stores have been padlocked in the past two days in Parañaque as the local government intensified its crackdown on establishments operating illegally in the city.

This brought to 33 the number of Chinese-owned or -managed establishments shuttered by the city’s Business Permits and Licensing Office (BPLO) since June 20, which found them to be operating without the necessary business permits.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Almost all of these business establishments had no necessary requirements from the city government, local health office, and even from the Bureau of Fire Protection since they started their operation last year,” said Melanie Soriano-Malaya, BPLO chief.

They also violated city ordinances on sanitation code and septage management, and on foreign signages.

FEATURED STORIES

A number of Chinese nationals were also working as cooks, waitresses and staff personnel without valid working permits and visas.

On Wednesday, city officials led by Malaya served closure orders to seven more businesses registered to Chinese nationals or hiring Chinese nationals for blue-collar jobs in Barangay Tambo.

These are Zan Cuo Restaurant (registered to Rex Sangga Dadezon), Ja Borja Restaurant, Aimai Minimart (owned by Jessica Frias), Golden Spring Restaurant  (registered to Wilbert Ong), Guilin Noodle House (registered to Sadie Wright), Nava Restaurant and Mountain Fire BBQ Restaurant (owned by Regine Umipig).

In nearby Barangay Baclaran, two more Chinese-only establishments—All Things Supermart (owned by Robert Ong) and Tengmeng Mini Mart (owned by Lelybeth Buitizon)—were closed.

Tambo and Baclaran, situated northwest of the city, are booming centers of operations of Pogo (Philippine offshore gaming operators) companies employing Chinese nationals.

Also on Wednesday, the BPLO shut down six Chinese businesses inside the upscale Multinational Village of Barangay Moonwalk.

These were Shangyin Restaurant (operated by James Wong), YY Shabu Shabu and Grill (registered to Zhao Wie), Sticklove Restaurant (registered to Maria Luisa Timon), Parkson Mart (registered to Jackie Chan), LSSA Entrance Food Mart (operated by Carolyn Techeco), and All Things Supermart (named to Robert Ong).

ADVERTISEMENT

Mayor Edwin Olivarez said the operations were not meant to single out Chinese establishments.

“This will be a citywide crackdown against erring foreign-owned restaurants and stores. Promise, no ningas kugon,” Olivarez said in a statement.

He also learned that the majority of the Chinese establishments were using Filipino dummies.

The mayor will summon the chairs of three barangays—Jun Zaide of Baclaran, Jennifer Quizon of Tambo, and Roberto Cruz Alano of Moonwalk—next week to explain why the businesses were allowed to be put up.

“[Illegal businesses] should be stopped this early so this could not spread to other barangays in the city. They are paying zero taxes to the city and [their presence] … will not benefit the residents of Parañaque,” Olivarez said.  —WITH A REPORT FROM AIZAM UMAL

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Chinese restaurants, Parañaque, shut down
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.