Close  

Duterte only ‘cautious’ about ‘repercussions’ of WPS incident – Panelo

/ 02:59 PM June 18, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte was just being “cautious” as he was merely avoiding possible “repercussions” of the recent incident between a Chinese fishing vessel and a Filipino boat in the West Philippine Sea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said this Tuesday in defense of Duterte, whose pronouncements on the infamous event – according to Senator Panfilo Lacson – only left Filipinos “heartbroken.”

READ: Lacson rues Duterte’s ‘heartbreaking’ stand on boat ramming incident

FEATURED STORIES

READ: Chinese vessel abandons PH boat after collision

“Mr. Lacson is entitled to his opinion. We know where he is coming from. But we will repeat, the President is cautious in threading in this particular incident. He wants first to establish his facts,” Panelo said in a Palace briefing.

Duterte broke his silence on the issue Monday evening and called the June 9 incident at Recto Bank as just a “little maritime accident.”

Duterte only ‘cautious’ about ‘repercussions’ of WPS incident – Panelo

THEY LOST EVERYTHING The fishing boat Gem-Vir 1, shown at home in San Jose, Occidental Mindoro, in this file photo, was anchored at Recto Bank in the South China Sea when it was hit by a Chinese vessel on Sunday night (June 9, 2019). It sank but the crew survived, although, according to the boat owner, they lost their catch and everything else on the boat. —CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

The President reiterated that the Philippines cannot take Beijing in a military confrontation and insisted on hearing the side of China.

READ: Duterte breaks silence on sinking of PH boat: ‘It’s a little maritime accident’

Panelo also explained that the recent issue with Canada is different from the “allision” in the West Philippine Sea, noting that the facts in the Canadian trash issue were “established” unlike with the Recto Bank incident.

Duterte had previously threatened to declare war with Canada if it fails to take back the tons of garbage it illegally shipped to the Philippines six years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

“‘Yung Canada ay established ‘yung facts, you cannot refute it kasi nangyari. Talagang mali sila, anim na taon, pati ‘yung nakaraang administrasyon walang ginawa kaya galit siya (Duterte). Eh ito hindi pa nga niya alam ‘yung tunay na facts,” he said.

The Palace official stressed there would be “repercussions” if the Philippines takes a wrong step on the Recto Bank incident.

“Kaya nga precisely nagiging maingat siya kasi ang repercussions nito kung magkamali tayo ng galaw dito eh maraming maapektuhan, ‘yung ating overseas workers for one. ‘Yung ating mga relasyon sa kanila kaya kailangang maging maingat tayo,” Panelo pointed out. (Editor: Katherine G. Adraneda)

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: bullying, China, Conflict, Diplomacy, dispute, Foreign affairs, Local news, Malacañang, maritime, Nation, national news, news, Panfilo Lacson, Philippine news updates, Philippines, Recto Bank, Reed Bank, Rodrigo Duterte, Salvador Panelo, West Philippine Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.