Close  

NBI files criminal charges vs owner, execs of dialysis center

/ 05:54 PM June 11, 2019
NBI files criminal charges vs owner, execs of dialysis center

PRESIDENT’S IRE WellMed Dialysis Center has caught the ire of President Rodrigo Duterte who ordered on Saturday the arrest of its owner, who allegedly filed claims for “ghost” dialysis sessions, defrauding state-run Philippine Health Insurance Corp. of millions of pesos. —INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines–The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Tuesday filed before the Department of Justice (DOJ) criminal complaints against the owner and executives of WellMed Dialysis and Laboratory Center implicated in the alleged “ghost” dialysis treatment claims paid by the Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth).

Charges for violation of Article 315 of the Revised Penal Code (RPC) or Estafa and Falsification of Documents under Article 172 have been filed against Dr. Bryan Sy, named owner of the WellMed treatment center.

ADVERTISEMENT

Aside from Sy, also named in the complaint were other officers of WellMed namely: Dr. John Ray Gonzales, medical director; Claro Sy, chairman; Alvin Sy, corporate treasurer; Therese Francesca Tan-Sy, purchasing officer; Dick Ong, administration officer; and physicians Dr. Porshia Natividad and Joemie Soriano.

The NBI also charged whistleblowers Edwin Roberto and Liezel Aileen De Leon.

FEATURED STORIES

WellMed allegedly received payment claims from PhilHealth for dialysis treatments even if the patients have long been dead.

Roberto, former assistant manager at WellMed, in his sworn statement said it was Sy himself who ordered him on March 30, 2016 to try to charge PhilHealth with claims of two dead patients amounting to P2,600. It was De Leon whom he instructed to prepare the forms.

Roberto revealed that before he resigned in March 2018, PhilHealth paid WellMed a total of P600,600 consisting of 200 sessions from dead patients.

Aside from that, Roberto said that there were also previously unpaid claim of P208,000 for 80 sessions, which was also paid.

The NBI also submitted the sworn statement of PhilHealth special investigator John Cueto who said that WellMed continues to submit reimbursement forms to PhilHealth. (Editor: Jonathan P. Vicente)

RELATED STORY

NBI arrests WellMed owner over ghost dialysis issue

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DoJ, ghost dialysis, Local news, NBI, Philhealth, Philippine news update
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.