Dutere lost confidence in PhilHealth execs – Roque
MANILA, Philippines — Asking PhilHealth officials to resign over the dialysis controversy means that President Rodrigo Duterte has “lost confidence” in them, lawyer Harry Roque said Tuesday.
“I think the fact that the President asked for them (PhilHealth officials) to resign shows that he may have lost trust and confidence in them already and that he wants a free hand in the organization,” Roque said in an interview over ABS CBN News Channel.
However, Roque, who is the legal counsel of two whistleblowers who exposed that PhilHealth is paying for the dialysis treatment claims of already dead patients at a dialysis center, said the PhilHealth officials are expected to perform their duties until the President has accepted their courtesy resignations.
“Pending acceptance, then they should continue discharging their duties,” he said.
Last week, the Philippine Daily Inquirer bared that Quezon City-based WellMed Clinic had filed “ghost dialysis” claims with PhilHealth as revealed by a former employee of the center.
The clinic allegedly filed and received payments from PhilHealth for dialysis treatments even though some of the patients who supposedly have undergone dialysis treatments, have already died.
President Duterte earlier announced that he would “reorganize” PhilHealth amid the scandal which he claimed cost the government more than P100 billion.
However, Duterte said he does not have the “slightest doubt about the integrity and honesty” of Ferrer as he was among those who have been “budging” for the prosecution of those who abuse the privileges of the state health insurance company. (Editor: Mike U. Frialde)
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.