PhilHealth execs asked to submit courtesy resignation over dialysis mess
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has asked Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) acting Chief Roy Ferrer and its board members to hand over their “courtesy resignation” over the allegations of “ghost” dialysis treatment scheme.
Former Duterte aide and now Senator-elect Bong Go said this Monday in a press briefing.
“Inutusan po ako ni Pangulong Duterte nung Sabado ng gabi na sabihan sa sila na magsumite nalang sila ng kanilang courtesy resignation. Lahat po sila, lahat ng board members ng Philhealth,” Go said.
Go also claimed that Malacañang had received reports of alleged “friction” in the organization of Philhealth.
Last week, the Inquirer bared that Quezon City-based WellMed Clinic filed “ghost” dialysis treatment claims to PhilHealth as revealed by a former employee of the center.
Under the scheme, the clinic allegedly filed and received payments from PhilHealth for dialysis treatments even though some of the patients have been dead.
Over the weekend, the President announced that he would “reorganize” PhilHealth amid the scandal which he claimed cost the government more than P100 billion.
However, Duterte said he does not have the “slightest doubt about the integrity and honesty” of Ferrer as he was among those who have been “budging” for the prosecution of those who abuse the privileges of the state health insurance company.
“Si Doc. Ferrer, doctor din po ni Pangulo ‘yan and very honest ‘yan. Talagang nalusutan lang siya ng mga tao sa baba pero command responsibility. Hinayaan nilang makalusot since 2016,” Go explained. (Editor: Julie Espinosa)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.