10 petitions filed vs Cardema’s bid to become party-list nominee
MANILA, Philippines — Commission on Elections (Comelec) spokesperson James Jimenez on Friday said that 10 petitions had been filed against former National Youth Commissioner (NYC) chair Ronald Cardema’s bid to become the official nominee of the Duterte Youth party-list group.
“Yung substitution ni Ginoong Cardema, hindi pa rin napagdededisyunan dahil meron pang mga opposition na nag-file laban sa kanyang petisyon,” Jimenez said in a press briefing.
(There’s no decision yet for Cardena’s substitution bid because petitions have been filed against it.)
“Apparently marami ang nakapag-file ng opposition, as of last count, sampu ang nag-file ng opposition (Apparently, there are many who opposed it. As of the last count, there were 10 petitions filed),” the Comelec spokesperson clarified.
When asked if the petitions can be consolidated so one ruling will be released, Jimenez said it is possible.
“It will be too time-consuming, I think, to dispose of each one separately, especially [if] they raise substantively the same issues,” he explained.
The Comelec spokesperson added that the proclamation of the nominees of the winning party-lists will happen in “due course,” most likely before their assumption into office on June 30.
Pressed if Cardema will likely take his seat as party-list representative, the spokesperson said, “It’s premature to say.”
“Ang kwestyonable na lang ngayon ay kung sino maupo for that partylist when that time comes (What is questionable now is who will assume the post for the party-list when the time comes),” he added. “Right now, we have more than a month to go.” (Editor: Eden Estopace)
Don’t celebrate just yet, Comelec offical tells Cardema
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.