Comelec anticipating Duterte’s presence at proclamation rites
MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is preparing for the possible attendance of President Rodrigo Duterte at the proclamation of winning senatorial candidates and party-list group representatives.
Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez said while there is no assurance that the President will attend the proclamation, which could possibly be held on Tuesday, the poll body is still preparing for his arrival.
“We don’t know for sure but because he did come to the filing of the COC (certificate of candidacy), that is one thing we’re preparing for as well,” Jimenez said in a press conference at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City.
“So naghahanda tayo, which means also we’re not just preparing for his arrival security-wise, but we’re also preparing a space for him and his entourage on the floor for the venue,” he added.
President Duterte accompanied his top former top aide Christopher “Bong” Go when he filed his COC for senator in October last year.
Jimenez said it is a “pretty sure bet” that the proclamation will be held on Tuesday as the Comelec, which sits as the National Board of Canvassers (NBOC), will process the five remaining certificates of canvass (COCs) when it resumes its session on Monday.
The NBOC have already canvassed 162 out of 167 COCs — or 97 percent — nationwide and posts abroad as of Sunday evening. (Editor: Gilbert S. Gaviola)
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.