Mall chain clarifies policy on evacuation during emergency situations
MANILA, Philippines—A mall chain has clarified that their customers will be their first priority when it comes to evacuating the establishment during times of calamities.
This came after reports said some establishments did not allow their employees to leave the premises when a 6.1 magnitude earthquake rocked parts of Luzon on Monday. One of the establishments named was SM Supermalls.
SM Supermalls said in a statement Wednesday that the establishment “implements periodic disaster preparedness programs to train our employees not to panic, in times of crisis, so they will be able to take care of our customers as well as themselves.”
“The safety and well-being of our customers will always be our utmost priority,” the mall chain added.
The mall chain previously drew flak over the supposed practice from netizens.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.