House respects Duterte veto of P95.3-B infra funding – Castro
MANILA, Philippines — The House of Representatives respects President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision to veto the P95.3 billion of infrastructure program included in the P3.8 trillion 2019 national budget, House Majority Leader Fredenil Castro said Monday.
The Chief Executive already signed the spending bill, but Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said Duterte vetoed some portions that “not within the programmed priorities.”
The Capiz 2nd District representative said the lower chamber welcomed the President’s signing of the 2019 budget.
“We respect his decision to veto some items in the budget. We will abide with [sic] the President’s decision and respect the thorough study made by his team after all factors were considered,” Castro added in a statement.
With the signing, the House leader said the government could now start implementing the President’s priority projects.
“The House of Representatives will continue to work in harmony with the President’s desire to create a better life for every Filipino,” he added.
Senate President Vicente Sotto III signed the General Appropriations Bill last March 26 but he asked the President to veto the P75 billion worth of local infrastructure programs which he said was “unconstitutionally” realigned by the House after the budget bill was ratified on Feb. 8.
Rep. Rolando Andaya Jr., House appropriations committee chair, had insisted that the realignments the House made were “not post-ratification” because these had been authorized by the bicameral conference committee report and “did not exceed the expenditure ceilings of respective departments and agencies” as approved in the bicam report.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.