Sara Duterte among Facebook purge ‘casualties’
MANILA, Philippines—Presidential daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio is among those who were affected by Facebook’s “purge.”
In a Facebook post on Wednesday night, Davao City Information Officer Jefry Tupas said Duterte-Carpio has been “locked out after her account was heavily reported.”
“Did you know guys that Mayor Inday Sara Zimmerman Duterte is one of the casualties of the Facebook purge?” Tupas wrote.
“She’s locked out after her account was heavily reported. Hindi nakapagtataka,” he added.
Last week, Facebook Cybersecurity Policy head Nathaniel Gleicher announced that they have removed about 200 fake accounts operating under the network of communication strategist Nic Gabanuda Jr., who headed the social media campaign of President Rodrigo Duterte in 2016.
Hours after the takedown, Facebook showed samples of pages that were removed, including pages made by supporters of Duterte, former presidential aide Bong Go, and reelectionist Senator Sonny Angara.
In a recent Palace briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo assured that the President has nothing to do with the affected Facebook accounts.
He also downplayed the role of social media in the victory of Duterte during the 2016 presidential elections, saying that the majority of those who voted for him are the “masses.”
“The overwhelming majority that voted him into office, I don’t think they have Facebook accounts and whatever. These are the masses,” he said. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.