PDEA chief opposes Duterte, PNP, says PH drug problem had not worsened
MANILA, Philippines — The drug situation in the Philippines has not worsened, Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) Director General Aaron Aquino said Wednesday.
“Of course no. Kung makikita mo on our number of [drug surrenderers] number of [drug] seizures. Malaki ang nakukuha natin drugs worth billions of pesos,” Aquino said in an interview with ANC’s Headstart.
Aquino’s view was different from what President Rodrigo Duterte and the Philippine National Police (PNP) believe – that the drug problem in the country has worsened despite the government’s war on drugs.
Aquino said the President made his “first impression” because the amount of drugs seized by PDEA in their operations have been increasing.
“Ang tingin ko lang that will be the first impression of the President. Dati narinig ng Presidente, sachet. Next million. Now billion na. Kahit ako nabibigla ako as director general,” he said.
Aquino said their agency continues to intercept illegal drugs entering in the Philippines with the help of their international counterparts.
“It is good now, we are able to intercept this big volumes of illegal drugs and the good thing we are having a good and open communication with international counterparts,” he said.
Last week, PDEA seized P1.8 billion worth of shabu at the Manila International Container Port and P1.13 billion worth of shabu in Muntinlupa. /muf
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.