Palace: Duterte now more convinced Peter Lim is into drugs
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte appeared to have gathered more evidence linking businessman Peter Lim into the illegal drug trade.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said this Thursday after Duterte issued a stern warning against Lim, who is currently on the run for drug charges.
“There could be basis for that. Siguro some time ago…walang masyadong ebidensya against him. Baka marami nang ebidensya to convince the President that he is really behind many operations concerning drug activities,” Panelo said in a Palace briefing.
“You must remember that Peter Lim at one point denied that (accusation). Siguro lalong pina-imbestigahan ni Presidente, baka marami na siyang basis,” he added.
On Wednesday, Duterte told Lim to just commit suicide since he would serve a 200-year jail time if he he surrenders.
“Ikukulong ko siya ng 200 years. Eh ‘di ako sa kanya mag-suicide na lang siya,” Duterte said.
The President also claimed that he believes Lim is still active and his network and alleged money laundering activity is “very much alive.”
Lim remains at large following the issuance of an arrest warrant against him in August last year by a Makati court over charges of violation of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002. /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.