Close  

Rights lawyer blames PAO chief for vaccination scare

/ 09:17 PM February 07, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Human rights lawyer Chel Diokno said on Thursday that Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) chief Persida Acosta and other people who supposedly contributed to the vaccination scare and the measles outbreak  in some parts of the country should be held accountable.

“Persida Acosta and the others who are riding on the Dengvaxia issue should step down from their high chairs and accept responsibility for destroying public confidence in vaccination,” Diokno said in a message to INQUIRER.net.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Malinaw na ang outbreak ng measles o tigdas sa Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, NCR, at Bicol Region ay direktang resulta ng patuloy na pananakot ng ilan sa pamahalaan pagdating sa pagbabakuna [….] Dapat may managot sa trahedyang ito na maaari naman pala nating maiwasan,” he explained.

(It is clear that the measles outbreak in Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, NCR and Bicol Region is a direct result of scare tactics on vaccination employed by some people in government.  Someone should be held liable for this tragedy.)

FEATURED STORIES

“After making so much noise and causing so much hysteria, they cannot just wash their hands and say they had nothing to do with the drastic drop in vaccination confidence from 93% to a measly 32%, measles rise by 350 percent and rubella by over 1000 percent,” Diokno explained.

On Wednesday, the Department of Health (DOH) declared a measles outbreak in Metro Manila, after 196 cases were reported from January 1 to 19, of this year.

The outbreak declaration was expanded to other regions in Luzon and Central Visayas.

At least 55 children have already died, according to previous reports.

In comparison, only 20 cases in Metro Manila were reported in the same period last year.

DOH has attributed the spike in measles cases to low vaccination rate. /gsg

READ: Measles outbreak in Metro Manila — DOH

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: DOH raises measles ‘red flag’ in more regions after NCR outbreak

READ:Dengvaxia scare a factor in measles outbreak—DOH

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: “Otso Diretso”, Chel Diokno, Dengvaxia, Department of Health, Measles outbreak, PAO, Persida Acosta, Philippine news updates, Public Attorney’s Office
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.